Saturday, April 17, 2010

R & C

What makes the writer’s mind so fascinating is that you can’t turn it off. When you’re writing, the outline, plot twists and characters are all you can think of. When you aren’t writing… the outline, plot twists and characters are all you can think of. You’re supposed to write what you know. To know things you have to do things or talk to people who have done things or read about how to do things. Everything is a potential story. Living for a story is invigorating…and exhausting. It is important, then, to have other hobbies; the more concentration necessary—the better. Then, when you come back, the chaos (I liken my creative brain to a news room, each reporter cell is in charge of a facet of my novel. P.S. The editor is the biggest bitch I’ve ever met) has quieted. A few employees are on vacation and/or napping at their desks and I have a brief period of time when I can write with abandon.
That’s my excuse and I’m stickin’ to it.
My escape from my escape is crafting. Everything from home décor to desserts excites me. I think it’s because there is a smaller time commitment involved and I have a tangible finished product I can show off immediately. Plus, these projects require more handiwork than brain power. Aaaah, serenity.
Last weekend, I made a wall clock from an old vinyl and scrapbook supplies (the males in my family haven’t stopped twitching in pain. It was a Disney record, ok?!) It came out so well, I had to fight off a few attempts to abscond with my new project.
Today, inspired by the genius mind behind Bake at 350 ,  I made White Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles. I adapted her recipe, which you can search for under “Chocolate Raspberry Truffles,” and basically created super classy inside-out Reeses. Still, they were delicious. I’m going to use them tomorrow to bribe myself to finish another short story. I’d like to promise pictures...but I don’t know if they’ll last long enough.  After that, I’ll move on to card-making.
     What do you do to relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment